Wednesday 28 November 2012

Confusing Tourism Stats

I read a report today on the BBC NI website and I'm still trying to work out what it says. Are we seeing an increase or decrease in tourists to Northern Ireland?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20525743

According to these new statistics the number of oversees tourists has fallen in 2012 by 12% but then the report goes on to say that North American visitors are up 18% and hotel room occupancy up by 11%. The figures from places like Titanic Belfast and the Giant's Causeway appear very healthy and certainly in my own travels this summer, I saw more tourists than I ever recall before and a greater number of them were from overseas. I remarked on that in a few of my blog posts. The stats coming in from Titanic and the Causeway reflect what I encountered and I find it hard to believe visitors are down, overall, by 12%. I know I didn't feel that when I was queuing for a much desired cup of tea in the visitor's centre cottage at Carrick-A-Rede.


No comments:

Post a Comment