Thursday 27 September 2012

In the mood...

I love it when I get to that stage of a manuscript that the characters begin to take on a life of their own. You can plot the story, have an idea of your beginning and middle and end but sometimes those characters do things you weren't expecting them to. I'm over 30,000 words into The Glass House now and Chloe (Niamh's step-daughter) has become a much stronger and integral character than I'd initially intended. She's a teenager with troubles and they're about to get a lot worse.

An extract from the chapter I'm currently working on:


 When they eventually broke apart, their breathing was laboured. Sharing the bottle they both drank the water until it was drained. He reached for her again but she stopped him.
'I better check in with Sam. I'm staying at her flat tonight and don't want to get separated from her.'
He let out a breath, laughing as he did so and shaking his head. 'Okay, just give me a minute.'
Spotting the lit up Ladies sign, Chloe stood. 'I'll be back in a minute.' Taking the bottle from his hand, she swopped it with the one on the floor, taking a swig from the one she held. 'And don't drink my beer.'

1 comment:

  1. Yep, she's headed for trouble! Very well written!!

    ReplyDelete