Saturday 29 September 2012

Crom Estate, Co. Fermanagh

The Crom Estate sits on the edge of Upper Lough Erne in Co Fermanagh and contains not one but two castles (albeit one is in ruins, but no less spectacular). You can hire a boat at the National Trust site or, like my family and I, you can take your bike and enjoy the trails. It's a beautiful estate and well worth a visit.

One highlight of the day, for me, was discovering the walled garden and the dilapidated glass house within it, not only as someone who would love to be a great gardener but also because it conformed so well to my vision of Caitlin's walled garden and glass house in my work in progress, The Glass House. As there are so many photos to post of the estate itself, I'll reserve the ones of the garden and glass house for another day.


Crom Old Castle


Current Crom Castle (privately owned)


The Boathouse







Bridge to the island (where the walled garden is) and the Summer House

View from the Summer House 


National Trust: Crom
Discover NI: Crom
http://cromcastle.com/index.html

1 comment: