Saturday 5 April 2014

Character Shaping and Personality

I attended a course at work this week about management skills but thought one element of it was interesting from a writer's point of view.

We answered some questions to work out our personality types and then discussed that in the context of how we interact with others but also to be able to recognise other personality types and shape how we deal with them according to that type. 

I thought the four personality types might be a useful tool in shaping characters. When I map out a story I try to work out a skeleton of who my characters are, with details like their age, date of birth, what they look like. I have an idea of how I want them to act and develop but I love it when they take on their own life and do something that surprises me. Ellie, in The Glass House has been one of my favourite characters so far in my novel writing because when I started the book she was only going to have a small part but she became as pivotal as the two sisters and is the one who grew the most. 

This personality recognition may help in that character shaping (but hopefully won't take away that element of surprise as people can flex their personality to take on other traits or mask their basic personality). The idea is that people can be separated into four groups, each one recognised by a bird. They are: eagles, peacocks, owls and doves. 

The eagles are fast paced, fact orientated people. They are active, easily bored, want the point of a story and snappy decisions. 

The peacocks are fast paced and people oriented. The like to be involved in events, know what their role is and are the exuberant life-and-sole of the party. 

The owl is a slower paced person who likes time to research and work out all the angles. They like preparation and are fact orientated. The read the manual, create the list and spreadsheet before you act type.

The dove is also slower paced but is people orientated so will want time to think about the wider impact of situations on the people around them. They like to way up the pros and cons.

That is a very brief summary and you can find plenty more information on the internet if you would like to research it further, or test yourself. It is the DOPE 4 Bird Personality Test and here is a link to another blogger talking about it.

And if you are interested: I am a dove, but have elements of owl and eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment