Wednesday 27 March 2013

Getting Published

A subject dear to the heart of so many writers. Is my writing good enough to be published? If yes, do I seek an agent who will help me find a publisher, submit directly to a publisher or do I self-publish? In either situation do I pay for a writing course, a literary consultancy or an editor before submission or publication?

Writing a novel is only the beginning. There are so many other issues to consider after you've written the ending and, as an unpublished, unknown, it feels like breaking through is almost impossible.

There are countless stories on the internet of the struggles some authors have gone through before being published, all of them telling you not to give up on your dreams. Then I read books like Carole Blake's From Pitch to Publication and there are some reality checks in it about how far down an agent's list of priority the unsolicited manuscripts are.

All of this is going on within the shifting publishing landscape.

I blogged recently about the need for an online presence and how necessary it is even for unpublished writers to build their own brand. I think this blog post from Authonomy, a Harper Collins owned website, expressing the view that self-publishing is 'a powerful incubator for writing talent' is a step on from that discussion.

The Authonomy post could be saying that publishers are not taking risks on new authors. They aren't going out looking for them and they want writers to do their own publicity. They want an author to make a name and a success of their books before they will invest, putting their name behind the book. Now, there's nothing new in an author having to do some marketing and publicity. How many authors have to do book tours, signings, interviews, workshops and readings? That's always appeared to be part of the job to me. The difference here is that Authonomy appear to be saying that new writers need to do all their own editing, publishing, cover design and marketing to sell a few thousand copies in order to attract an agent or a hundred thousand sales to get a publisher's attention. So, if a new writer can only get noticed by spending all this time publishing and marketing their own book to the point that they sell in these figures why do they need a traditional publisher at all and how much time will that leave them for actually writing?

The Authonomy article cites the success of writers, such as E L James, Amanda Hocking and Nick Spalding. Closer to home Leesa Harker signed with Blackstaff Press after she created a noise on social media with her Belfast based parody of Fifty Shades.

I'm still digesting this latest news and trying to decide where it leaves new writers like myself but one thing it has shown me is that publishers are even more reluctant to take on new writers than I previously believed. It looks like they want to avoid all risks and you have to show yourself capable of grabbing readers and sales before they'll consider adding their logo to your book in return for a cut of the cash.

So, do we give up on the dream of traditional publication? Do we self-publish instead or do so hoping that it will still lead to traditional publication?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lesa.

    I have tried for years to find an agent and a publisher, to no avail. Perhaps it is because my writing is not good enough or I'm not famous enough or I'm not judged to be a commercial prospect. It is a tough business, as is any business, and business is a key word here because publishers rarely print just for love of the writing alone. I have had kind letters from publishers saying how much they like the work but.......and then various reasons follow. If manuscripts are not assessed as commercial, profitable work, then the chances are slim that mainstream publishing will support the writing or the writer. Sad, but true. But business is business, as it should be to survive. I understand that.

    I have gone down the self-publishing route because new technologies and online opportunities allow me to do so. I believe I have something to offer and if I can't get into the mainstream, I have to find a way over, round and through the obstacles.

    This is not an easy route because self-publishing pretty much demands that you are in sole charge of your book's content. As I have learned more and more about it, proofreading, checking layout, etc, needs time and patience to get it right. I've made mistakes but some of my books are receiving decent attention and positive comments.

    I like writing and I feel the urge to share it. If I can get a few books out there a) it tests the water, b) it invites comment, either way, c) it allows me to keep writing, developing, improving as I go, d) it might just attract some professional backing.

    I blog regularly, I tweet, etc and I enjoy the emergence of sites like this.

    I would hate to get to my death bed and say: "If only...."

    I hope some of this makes sense. I wish you well in all you do.

    Joe Cushnan
    www.droppedthemoon.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete